Welcome to my Paleo caramel and apple dunking donuts.
I have been to a Dunking Donuts shop just once. It was in the summer of 2012 when we were on a family holiday to America. I had seen the adverts on the TV and them mentioned via social media but had never actually been!
It was a shop in Boston at the end of our holiday just before we headed home. We were really tired and when we should have been enjoying all the different tourist attractions we failed to do so. We have been on holiday for 5 weeks and it was our last 2 days before we headed home. So the best we managed in Boston was a couple of days in the park and some snacks as we watched our ten year old having the time of his life and letting all his energy out.
Well on the street corner we noticed a Dunking Donuts. Sadly it didn’t live up to what we wanted as it was mid afternoon and mornings are clearly the time to go. But they did have some really nice caramel flavoured donuts so we did try those.
They were absolutely delicious and the problem with holidays is that you come home and you end up craving what you had when you were away.
Well this is inspired by them so I hope you enjoy them!
- 160g Chestnut Flour (gluten free)
- 28g Apple Sauce
- 70g Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 32g Cup Melted Coconut Butter
- 96g Coconut Palm Sugar
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- ¼ tsp Guar Gum
- 64g Apples (chopped finely)
- To make the Caramel
- 32g Coconut Oil
- 64g Palm Sugar
- 1 tbsp Coconut Milk
- Preheat oven to 180c. Mix together all the ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Spray a donut pan with nonstick spray and place in the pre heated oven for 15 minutes.
- While donuts are cooking melt the sugar with a tbsp. of water in a thick bottomed saucepan, when all dissolved and a light brown colour add the butter and cream, the mixture will boil up so be careful and keep stirring all the time. The caramel will be ready when you have a thick brown sauce take of the heat and leave to cool.
- Remove donuts from the oven, you can drizzle the caramel over the donuts or have it as a dip either way it will be delicious.