What could be more delicious than a warm, hearty breakfast porridge first thing in the morning? Oats and granola are off limits on the paleo diet, but there are lots of great alternatives available. Any nut and fruit combo makes a tasty porridge. Personally, I like to mix coconut, almonds, and berries. The flavor is simply amazing! On top of that, my paleo porridge breakfast recipe is grain free, dairy free, and vegan.
Over the years, I’ve tried numerous porridge recipes that fit into the paleo diet. Some taste so great that they’re more appropriate for dessert than breakfast. Packed with vitamins, my favorite paleo breakfast porridge recipe is the perfect choice for those lazy mornings when you want a simple meal. You can even add protein powder for an added nutritional boast.
Paleo porridge is a good choice for kids, teens, pregnant moms, and people with celiac disease or wheat allergy. My family loves it as an occasional breakfast treat. Sometimes I add honey, cinnamon, or berries for sweetness. The almond meal and shredded coconut go well with bananas, strawberries, blueberries, and dried fruits. The end result is a creamy dessert that packs a lot of nutrition. It’s so rich and filling that a small bowl will be more than enough. Depending on your preferences, you can add or swap ingredients. For instance, I like to add a few pieces of dark chocolate or use different types of nuts each time I cook porridge. Use butter or pumpkin puree for a thicker consistency.
- ½ cup almonds, ground
- 4 tablespoons shredded coconut
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ banana, mashed
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp honey (optional)
- Coconut flakes, berries, seeds, banana slices for garnish
- Mix the coconut milk and vanilla extract in a saucepan.
- Bring to a gentle boil and then add the shredded coconut and flaxseeds.
- In a separate bowl, combine mashed banana, almonds, and sea salt.
- Add the mixture to the saucepan and stir well for about five minutes.
- When it's ready, add in the honey and cinnamon.
- Serve immediately topped with seeds, banana slices, blackberries, goji berries, or coconut flakes. Enjoy!