Welcome to my BBQ Paleo sauce.
I will start by saying that the hardest thing when you first start Paleo is finding sauces to match what you were having before. Often our cooking has revolved around these sauces and trying to find a replacement is harder than you think.
You get used to using soy sauce in everything that you cook, a salad is not the same without mayonnaise and a burger without ketchup isn’t worth thinking about.
So when you start Paleo it can hard to know what to do. Well I was making a sauce for some chicken not so long ago and I had this light bulb moment when I realised how the bits and pieces that I had added tasted just like my favourite Chinese sauce that was obviously highly processed.
But what got me is I realised just how incredibly SIMPLE it was to make my own and how it was about time that we made our own instead. Plus forget the healthy lifestyle for a moment; you’re talking about saving yourself a small fortune.
So let’s start with this incredible Paleo BBQ sauce and this summer have this at your grill rather than those shop bought processed alternatives.
- 4 Tomatoes
- 1 Onion
- 1Tsp Garlic Puree
- 1 Apple (sliced and diced)
- 1Tsp Chilli Powder
- 1Tsp Paprika
- 1Tsp Coriander
- ½ Tsp Balsamic Vinegar
- ½ Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 2Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3Tbsp Honey
- Salt & Pepper
- Rough chop the tomatoes, onions, and apple.
- Add all ingredients to a thick bottomed pan. Cover and simmer on medium heat for about 30 minutes. You want it simmering, but not boiling as you want it to reduce and come together.
- After 30 minutes, all of the ingredients should be cooked and it should look like a lumpy sauce.
- At this point, turn the heat off and use any blender to blend the sauce.
- You can use a stick blender or a food processor either way they both do the same job but we found you get a smoother sauce using the food processor.